Yarm Bridge

There was a bridge at Yarm from about 1200AD, but the present one was was built in 1400 and its position as the most easterly bridge across the Tees contributed to the prosperity of Yarm as a thriving port and market town. It was the scene of a minor battle during the English Civil War, when the northern arch was demolished and temporarily replaced with a timber drawbridge. In the early 1800’s a steel bridge was built, but collapsed almost immediately – the foundations are still visible on the opposite bank.
Upstream, the Teesdale Way footpath leads eventually into Teesdale and the upper reaches of the river. Downstream the path skirts the remaining farmland around Egglescliffe village and enters the special rural character of the Heritage Park. On the opposite bank would have been the bustling dockside of the early port leading to the Friarage lands, which were originally settled by the Dominican, Black, Friars around 1300 and some of the early names such as The Froggery near the river Leven were associated with the Friarage and Hospital of those times. The name Spital is derived from the medieval Hospital.
This stretch of the Tees was once rich in fish resources, particularly salmon and some of the early names such as Salmon Landing and Fishers Bank reflect this importance.
It was also known for it’s shipbuilding, although on a somewhat smaller scale than today!

web-s10