St John the Baptist is an Anglican church sitting in the middle of the pleasant village of Egglescliffe, high above the River Tees, overlooking Yarm. There was probably a church here in 1065 when there is a record of a ‘clerk’ of Egglescliffe and a piece of 8th century column suggests an earlier building. The church also contains a fragment of a cross shaft that dates from the time when the Vikings controlled the area.
The present church was built by the Normans, but has been heavily re-built and the tower is an addition of the 15th century. The church contains two medieval effigies of knights and 17th century pews and other woodwork that are a rare survival.